[Assist] boot.cfg: encrypted root partition

Stayvoid stayvoid at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 16:30:22 GMT 2012

> The initrd doesn't decrypt it, see e.g. [0] for how to configure it
> (mkinitcpio needs the encrypt hook).

"root=/dev/mapper/root cryptdevice=/dev/sda5:root
In this case, /dev/sda5 is the encrypted device, and we give it an
arbitrary name of root, which means our root device, once unlocked, is
mounted as /dev/mapper/root. On bootup, you will be prompted for the
passphrase to unlock it." [1]

I'm playing with a plain version of dm-crypt. It doesn't store any
metadata on a disk.
And I don't want to expose that there is an encrypted data.
That's why I'd like to mount and decrypt it by hand.

What are my options?

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mkinitcpio#Using_encrypted_root